Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Three Things

The idea that personal tidbits, offered in threes, provide insights to a person is at once charming and humorous. I guess the idea is the format might be a vehicle for some startling insight about people you already know. (Lived in Kalamazoo, did time for forgery, like to torture cats, passed the time crocheting)

I'm not so sure lists get us anywhere. But, I've been reading Darren Rowse and Chris Garrett's book Problogger: Secrets for Blogging Your Way to a Six-Figure Income (oh, please, even I don't believe that) and under blog writing they mention lists as one of the easiest posts to create -- 5 favorite things, 53 mistakes bloggers make (only 53?). They say readers/followers love them.

A friend recently sent a "pass-it-on e-mail" about making a list that includes three personal things in different categories. She said the exercise would provide surprising insights to family and friends (that's debatable, unless there's a category for car sex). But, I got to thinking, filled in the blanks. The results are below.

THREE PLACES I HAVE LIVED :

1. San Francisco

2. Santa Rosa

3. Seattle

PLACES I HAVE WORKED:

1. Playland-at-the-Beach, cotton candy maker

2. Golden Gate Fields, racetrack bet taker

3. California Rodeo, sports writer

THINGS I LIKE TO WATCH:

1. CSI: any city, especially when the crime scene investigations are in Blythe

2. PBS, any subject, but nature shows rock

3. Baseball, even when the Yankees are in the game

THREE FAVORITE QUOTES:

1. Big girls need big diamonds -- Elizabeth Taylor

2. It's the good girls who keep diaries; the bad girls never have the time -- Tallulah Bankhead

3. Good girls go to heaven, bad girls go everywhere --Mae West

THREE PLACES I HAVE BEEN:

1. Victoria, BC, best place for high tea

2. San Jose Del Cabo, Baja Sur, best swim-up bars

3. Kona, Hawaii, best coffee

THREE PEOPLE THAT E-MAIL ME REGULARLY:

1. Carol

2. Justin

3. Nathan Brandsford, literary agent blog

THINGS I LIKE TO EAT:

1. Ice cream

2. salad, any kind, with croutons

2. chocolate ice cream (already said that?)

THREE PEOPLE I THINK WILL RESPOND:

1. Carol

2. Mark

3. Justin

4. You (oops!)

THREE THINGS THAT I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO:

1. Finding an agent and selling my book (please, God!)

2. My granddaughter's visit in August (whoopee!)

3. Yoga everyday (aah)

If you want to, delete my answers and type in your answers. Then send  it to a few good friends or family INCLUDING the person who sent it to you (me). The theory is that you will learn a lot (three is several and a lot is much more, but hey) of little known things about each other. If you feel like doin' the numbers, fill in the blanks and post your list in the comments section. Anonymous is OK, just take it easy on the naughty words! And, please, if you know of good books about blogging for beginners, send the titles my way, three at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment